As you prepare for an important sales call—and you should think of ALL sales calls as important—plot out the meeting in your mind. You can gain a lot of insight and really give yourself a leg up over the competition by being able to answer these five questions in advance.
5 Things You Must Know Before a Sales Call
- What are your minimum and maximum objectives for the meeting? What’s the least you want to accomplish (maybe establish a relationship and setting a follow-up meeting) and the most you might accomplish (maybe get on RFP short list.)
- How will you use your time? Understand how much time you’ll have and determine how you’ll invest in introductions, key questions, summarizing and next steps.
- What are the major challenges for the industry? Research this on the web,especially focusing on trade associations.
- What is the buyer’s key responsibility? Knowing this enables you to answer the all-important question: What’s in it for him/her—personally—to work with you?
- What references/examples will you use in your presentation? Think of examples that are relevant to the industry, company and person.