How much time do you spend each year at networking events? What benefits do you receive from all those hours? Here are five networking approaches that will help you move from quick handshakes to long-term relationships.
Five Ways to Turn Networking into Relationships
- Go for quality rather than quantity. Spend time on a few meaningful conversations rather than trying to engage scores of people with a quick handshake.
- Think of networking as a form of social media. Pass along interesting, relevant information.
- Make connections. The more you network, the more valuable contacts you know. Always be thinking about connections you can make for those you meet.
- Be honest and show enthusiasm. Rather than schmoozing with the crowd, make genuine connections with people you like and want to spend time with.
- Send each person you meet a short email within 24 - 36 hours. Send an individual email mentioning something personal from your conversation.