If you’re like me, you love technology when it works right and hate it when it doesn’t. Data backups are boring, but your data is one of the most valuable elements of your business. But, imagine waking up one morning to find it gone.
Of course, disasters happen to other people, not you, right? Well, someone has to be that person, and the longer you’re in business, the likelier it is that that person will be YOU.
Five Steps to Safeguard Your Data
1. Assign a key person to manage your data backup—not necessarily a techie, but someone who is reliable.
2. Back up your entire system every night.
3. Check your backups periodically and verify that you can access your data.
4. Keep an offsite backup. Rotate it regularly and store it safely—not in your car or any place with extreme temperature.
5. Change your backup media at least every six months.