Every one of us has negative habits, and I’m certainly no exception. I remember biting my nails when I was a girl. I was so distraught over it, but couldn’t seem to stop myself until I decided to just stop biting ONE nail while allowing myself to bite the others. When I had that one growing, I picked another nail to stop…before long I was only biting one thumbnail…and then none. So it is possible to phase out a negative habit.
Here’s an approach you might use.
Five Steps to Phase Out a Negative Habit.
1. Decide on a small success habit you want to implement.
I wanted to eliminate nail biting.
2. Visualize what your life will be like once you follow this habit consistently.
I imagined how beautiful my hands and nails would look.
3. Create parameters around your new habit.
Remember, I stopped biting just that one nail. Then the next. Then the next.
4. Tell a few stakeholders what you are doing.
I told my sister what I was doing and asked her to mention to me if she noticed I was biting that one nail.
5. Establish benchmarks at which you reward yourself.
I went to get my first actual manicure after my nails had all grown out. BTW: It took me almost six months from start to finish.