Women sometimes complain that they don’t garner the respect they deserve in business. But if you look at the way they speak and act, it seems they are continually sending messages that they’re not really serious about building their businesses. If you’re not serious about business, why should anyone else think you are?
Here are some ways you can gain the respect you deserve in business.
5 Ways to Gain Respect in Business
- Upgrade Your Vocabulary. I tell my clients to eliminate the word “small” and “little” from their business vocabulary. It doesn’t matter if your business generates eight hundred dollars or eight million dollars, NEVER us the words “small” or “little” in describing anything you do.
- Voice Your Professionalism. If you work from home, don’t let your calls be punctuated by interruptions from little Johnny or barking Rover. Always present your business in a professional light.
- Blow Your Horn. Don’t brush off your accomplishments. Share them on social media, your website and press releases. Whether you’re celebrating an award or a new client, a great way to start out an announcement without sounding boastful is to use the word, “Excited!” Here’s an example: “Excited! I was just named to the Top 25 Women in Business…”
- Raise Your Prices. Some women all but give away their products/services with the hope of gaining additional business. DON’T DO THIS. It demeans both your offerings and yourself. Raise your prices. Now.
- Support Other Women. Support women who are weak in areas where you are strong, and look for their support in your areas of weakness.