I often cringe when I hear someone use throwaway words like “um, ah, like, ok” in their conversation? And I have to admit that the overuse of those words lowers my opinion of them. To be perceived as a true professional, work towards eliminating throwaway words from your speaking.
Here are five ways to do that:
5 Ways to Eliminate Throwaways from your Speech
- Pay attention to how many times others say “ah, ” “like,” etc. in a conversation.
- Determine which throwaway words you use on a regular basis. Focus in on one of them.
- Ask someone to count how many times you use this word in a single conversation, say a dinner or a business meeting.
- Once you are aware of your overuse that word, make a commitment to not using it for 21 days. If you use the word, go back and restate the sentence eliminating that word.
- Every time you start to use the word, pause. Rather than using that word, just breathe. Then finish your statement without it.