How can you come out looking like a pro when you’re asked to make an impromptu presentation? What can you do if someone asks you to present a session on the fly or even just to answer a challenging question in a group meeting?
Here are five steps to presenting your thoughts more powerfully on a moment’s notice.
Five Steps to Present Like an Expert on a Moment’s Notice
- Before every meeting, predict whether you may be asked to speak. Understand the topic and who is scheduled to speak.
- If called upon, take a moment to gather your thoughts. Stand up slowly and take a deep breath before you start talking. If you’re answering a specific question, repeat the question before answering it.
- Focus on your main thoughts, ideas and insights. Don’t apologize, act surprised or ramble. Keep your presentation or response to the point.
- Use a 3-step formula. Your comments should have a beginning, a middle and an end.
- Consider using a timeline for your response. For example, “Back in 2000…In today’s market…In the next five years…”