The correct use of email can save you time, money and effort. However, using it incorrectly can have exactly the opposite effect. Here are five ways to use email effectively.
5 Ways to Create a Powerful Email
- Use your subject line wisely. Don’t ever send an email without a subject.If you’re requesting a specific action that you can summarize in a few words, put it in the subject line and be done. Otherwise, make the subject line brief and clear so recipients know at a glance the nature of the email.
- Keep it short. It’s fine to start out with a “Hi” but don’t waste the reader’s time with flowery intros and other niceties that you might include in a handwritten note. Write clearly so your reader can understand exactly what you’re saying.
- Eliminate nonsense! A business email is no place for jokes or other nonsense.
- Stay away from “Reply to All.” Only include individuals who have a real stake in your response. A good default is to only reply to the person who sent you the original email, unless you’ve got a definite reason for including someone else.
- Include only necessary attachments. It’s generally a good idea to attach no more than two documents to a single email, and be sure that each one has a relevant name so your reader knows what to expect.