There’s not much worse than attending a session with a boring presenter. It doesn’t take long before folks start tap dancing on their smartphones or even get up and walk out. Here are five ways you can avoid becoming that dreaded “boring presenter.”
5 Ways to Keep Your Audience Engaged
- Prepare and practice your presentation. Create interesting, yet concise, content. Present stories, analogies, exercises, and questions to keep your audience engaged.
- Direct your attention to your audience, not your materials. One surefire way to lose an audience is to talk to your slides, flip charts or notes. Remember, the audience is the reason you are there, not the materials.
- Show excitement about your topic. Talk emotionally, not just intellectually. Monotone puts audiences to sleep. If you’re not excited about your topic, why should they be?
- Don’t be afraid to move. Use appropriate gestures, and don’t be afraid to move around the room. Even if there is a podium on the stage, there’s no rule that you have to stand behind it.
- Interact with your audience. Don’t talk AT your audience, have a conversation WITH them. Ask questions; engage them in exercises; encourage discussion.