Many women tell me that they have a difficult time creating articles to promote themselves or their businesses. This has never been a problem of mine—as evidenced by this weekly newsletter—because I follow these five steps with every article I write.
Five Steps to Write a Powerful Article
- When you start to write, write straight through without backing up to edit. Don’t worry about grammar, punctuation, or anything else. Just get a rough draft on your screen.
- Start by writing one paragraph about a problem your customer deals with on a regular basis. (See above, “Many women tell me they have a difficult time…”)The purpose of this intro is to get the reader to want to read the rest of your article. To do this, she must think, “That sounds like me; maybe this article will solve that problem; I need to read this.”
- Solve the problem in a certain number of steps, where each step is a short paragraph. It might be, “Here are seven steps to…” I’ve found that readers can get their heads around a finite number of items, for example the five steps in each of my weekly articles.
- If you’ve got “Writers Block” just talk into recorder. Just chat about the topic as though you were talking to a friend. Then play the recording back and transcribe it.
- Finalize your article with fine tuning and editing. I know that I let an error slip by from time to time, but I try to ensure that my newsletter is grammatically correct with no misspelling.